Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the below question to see the full answer as provided by Electrical Engineer Training, if your questions have not been answered you can speak with a member of our team on 01204 847 722 or you can email us at

No, but you do have to report all work to building control and pay their fees so it’s cheaper in the long term to join the competent persons scheme.

We offer a selection of short courses that can be studied in a way that allows you to manage your work responsibilities and your duty to comply with building and wiring regulations. Our courses are accredited by City & Guilds, EAL, LOGIC and NICEIC, with certificates issued on successful completion.

This is true of many skilled workers in our industry, so we do have a number of short courses available that can help you to prove your competence. Courses are very flexible and can be fitted around your usual working week

i. For full scope, you can carry out all electrical work in domestic settings, as well as undertaking periodic reports.
ii. For defined scope you can carry out work as part of your main trade after you have joined an accredited scheme.

We offer impartial advice that will enable you to join an accredited scheme and build up your level of competence by gaining appropriate electrical qualifications

i. For full scope, you can carry out all work in domestic settings.
ii. For defined scope, you can undertake work that you have been assessed for that you carry out as part of your main trade e.g. A gas fitter who is fitting a boiler can undertake electrical work in a kitchen or bathroom that is related to the fitting of the boiler

Over the 11 years that we have been training people in electrical engineering, we’ve helped 10,000 candidates gain electrical qualifications, and have a 97% overall pass rate, rising to 100% in some qualifications. Three years after we opened we were accredited by both City & Guilds and NICEIC, and we are constantly looking to expand the courses we offer – for example we recently introduced our foundation and introductory courses for people with no previous electrical engineering training or experience. Our staff all still work regularly in the electrical industry, and their mix of excellent teaching skills and practical knowledge have helped us to achieve pass marks well above the national average.

Due to the rising number of deaths and reported injuries because of DIY electrical jobs and work carried out by non-competent people claiming to be electricians, builders, gas fitters, kitchen fitters and new technologies.

Simply speaking, the regulations cover all fixed electrical installation work carried out within a place of residence such as a house or flat which includes the following work:
i. The creation of one or more circuits
ii. Rewires
iii. Some minor works
iv. Electrical work carried out external to the house
v. Cover all electrical work

Nothing, Part P will apply to all fixed wiring in a domestic environment.