Fast Changing Regulations Governing Electrical Engineers in the UK

If you’re considering getting certified as a professional electrical engineer in the UK there are a few things you may want to consider about this important career. Not least of which is the education and government laws surrounding who is qualified to do the work. Numerous universities offer a bachelor’s degree in this field of specialisation, however, those interested can also enhance their skill through different accredited training programs. Accredited training companies like Wyre Associates, offer electrical engineering training courses to individuals in such a way that someone in the field can quickly get up to speed on new laws and regulations without attending a traditional university.

Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)

Understanding the institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 17th edition wiring regulation will go a long way to making sure you have a fundamental understanding of the safety regulations when working with electrical engineering, regardless of where you’re working. Because electricity has a high risk in regards to injury, it is critical that a person understands the fundamentals behind wiring. To get up to speed, 17th edition courses are available from various training centers across the UK, including Wyre Associates.

Part P of the Government Laws Surrounding Building Codes

Too many life-threatening accidents were happening when DIY work was performed by electricians, which were not recognised. Therefore, part p of the building codes was set up to limit the amount of work done by unqualified individuals. When part p is followed, the electrician will deal with the appropriate paperwork as well as issue the building or home owner a complete electrical installation certification. These regulations will come from the Building Control Officer and Local Authority jurisdiction for the area.

Within this governing law, electrical engineer work will fall under two possible categories: notifiable and non-notifiable. For non-notifiable work you won’t have to notify your Building Control Officer although it is recommended that you check, to know your work qualifies as such. For notifiable work you are expected to notify before beginning the task.

To get up to speed with the latest part p regulations, consider taking a part p course from Wyre Associates. Our part p training is 4 days long, up to date, and suitable for electricians currently working in the domestic sector.

Institute Of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations

In the UK, government laws follow the rules that are set forth by the Institute of Electrical Engineers Wiring Regulations. The books they offer detailing all the guidelines that are to be followed are quite dense and will take some time for a person to understand and that is part of the reason it’s important that you hire a professional when seeking to get wiring done. It is also important to know that connecting your electricity to the meter must be performed by authorised personnel only.

Licensed, Bonded and Insured

In addition to the above standards, most areas will require an electrical engineer to have passed a licensing test. This allows the public to know when working with an individual that is licensed that they can hire with confidence. In addition, it is generally advised that you select individuals that are both bonded and insured as this not only will protect the engineer if there is something faulty in the home it will also protect the home owner. Whether getting involved in the fascinating career of engineering or looking to hire a qualified professional it is a good idea to do your homework and make sure to follow appropriate government laws.